Skip to main content

Position Player Metrics for 2025

Hi:

I just went through the recruiting process with my 2021 RHP. I am a former college pitcher. I know a lot less about position player recruiting.

My younger son is a 2025; he is not currently on the showcase circuit. He's not even 14 and is still growing and I learned my lessons with my older boy about not putting him out there too soon if he's not a total stud.

Anyway, the younger kid is a hitter/position player and is very goal-oriented. For my position player parents and coaches out there...where does he need to be with his numbers by his sophomore summer to be in the mix for DI, and then separately for DIII?  I don't see him at a DII. That has nothing to do with level of play, but more about the academic profile of many DIIs.

I see him at a corner infield or outfield position; he can hit, and has good hands and feet, but will not be a sub 7.0 60 runner unless a miracle happens.

What data goals should he set? I also understand he needs to do it on the field, but given my older son's experience (he excelled on the field but not so much on the one-day showcase numbers circuit), I know this data is critical.

Thanks, any input would be appreciated.

Also, feel free to ping me for any input, especially on DIII High Academic process for pitchers, as my son just went through the process.

Take it easy, all, and stay safe.

Original Post