Skip to main content

Reply to "Position Player Metrics for 2025"

If he’s never going to be sub 7.0, it’s a pretty safe bet D1 is not an option. Especially in the wake of Covid. Comb through PG and PBR and see how many D1 CIF/COF commits AREN’T sub 7. It’ll be a fairly short list.

Check out a kid named Garrett Kocis who is at Wichita State right now. When he graduated high school in 2017, he was the #1/#2 player in the state of NE. An all-state SS. Last year WSU was projected to finish last in the conference (but Wedge and Co. are fixing things fast). Kocis played 1B. Still is. That’s the reality for most D1 programs. They can afford to put former stud SS’s at 1B these days. Kocis is mashing. However, he did have slower 60 times in high school. But when people say a kid has to mash if he isn’t fast, I’m not sure many understand how mashy their mashing actually needs to be. Spoiler alert - it’s REALLY, REALLY mashy.

It feels boring as all hell, but bigger, stronger, faster really is where his focus needs to be right now. The problem with that is that every parent/player believes they are always doing that. They’re not. I’d argue that if a kid is doing all the things everyone else is doing, they’re not getting bigger, stronger, faster. Anyone who can’t provide lots of specifics on all they’re doing to actually get bigger, faster, stronger - isn’t.

If your son is that set on goals and measurement, I’d recommend he find a few comparable players who accomplished what he wants. Comb through PG, PBR, etc and figure out where their metrics were as sophomores in high school. Or as freshmen or juniors. Then just reverse engineer the numbers. If the goal is “9” and your kid is at 6, plot a timeline for when he’d need to be at 7 and 8 to have a shot at 9 by the desired date. Actually, plot for 10 thanks to Covid.