Skip to main content

Reply to "Position players who pitch are the best players on the team."

Tiger3Boy,
A little different angle...For the most part I agree that players should learn, and play, as many positions as possible because it normally opens more doors and allows that player make a greater contribution to the success of his team ... but... at the same time this approach can work against the marginal high school player. Many high school players wanting to progress to the college level need to improve a single skill to make them college material. Colleges are not recruiting players that can play a multitude of positions "fairly well" but are looking for players that play one position really well. I get the feeling that there are some high school players that have become a "Jack of all trades... master of none" and by doing this have lessened their opportunities in getting on a college roster because they have not developed that one skill that stands out. I don't advocate a player or a parent telling the coach where the boy will play but there are methods that can help determine the position a player plays. I firmly beleive the player and his parents have the greatest impact in developing a player's skills.
Fungo