Skip to main content

Reply to "Position players who pitch are the best players on the team."

Coach May, you are a class guy. When I left yesterday, I asked myself if my tone might not be offensive. I didn't intend for it to be. I'm glad you took it the right way. I was just saying what we do. I worry so much about hurting a kid's arm that if I can avoid playing pitchers at a position, then I do avoid it. Two players that also pitch have been the most we have ever had. Now having said that, we always have to throw a sophomore or two and each year, we have had to get a couple of innings out of a freshman. However, if that is the case, that freshman has been identified early and has done his bullpens and live arm to hitters with the varsity. We don't just run them out to get shelled. In our area, we are the norm and not the exception with regards to pitchers playing the field. If you drop to Class A (Illinois only has A and AA) then you find more of your situation. Class A starts around 780 enrollment. For all of you that can do that, I really admire your ability to do so and take care of the kid's arm. BTW, my SS only plays SS. However, he went down to the Perfect GAme Showcase a couple of weeks ago in Florida. They put him on the mound and he struck out the first couple of hitters. So he said, they were amazed that he did it. Yes, he would be very good on the mound. THE INSTANT I HURT HIM OR OVERUSE THAT ARM, I'D NEVER FORGIVE MYSELF.

Oh, we keep 18-20 on the Varsity.
Last edited by CoachB25