Skip to main content

Reply to "Position to showcase?"

ExhaustedMom posted:

So I'm not sure where to post this as I'm a new member. My question is my son who is a 2022 grad but will not turn 15 until August of 2019 plays both for his high school and tournament teams. The problem is for high school he pitches and plays shortstop, for tournament he pitches and plays outfield.

He has a great fastball (mid 80s) but is an inconsistent pitcher,so is not used often. My real question is where would you showcase him when his position constantly changes? And does anyone else have this problem? Also, where he is younger than most 2022 grads, how will he look next to them?

Thanks!

EM:

Welcome to the Board. Your son is still young and should continue to play multiple positions as long as he can and as each team he plays sees fit. Some showcases allow for multiple positions, usually for not much more $. My son was recruited for and received offers playing both MI and CF. He made it a point to keep both OF and IF mitts with him.  He was often asked by colleges which position he would play, and he would answer he can and would play either, but felt he had the instincts of a MI.  The slot of the school where he would land recruited him as an "athletic MI who can play OF." So versatility is good.

Your son's MPH is good for his age- in the long run I think his bat (or lack of) will dictate his focus (pitching or non pitching). A pitching coach (like my son had a hitting coach) should help with his consistency, should pitching be his route.

As for the age thing, I don't think it really matters. Good luck to your son.