Skip to main content

Reply to "Positions in HS"

When a young player gets called up to varsity chances are there’s an upperclassman at his preferred position. It’s the one he would probably want to play when he’s older.

If you hit you play. It’s why I had all my travel players spend time playing left and right field. It’s the most likely positions to be available to a freshman or sophomore.

My son was the heir apparent at short. Freshman year on JV he started the first half of the season at short. The centerfielder got injured. The coach had seen my son shag flies. He put him in center. He said he could handle a few balls kicked by the other shortstop than seeing multiple balls per game go up the gaps.

My son still started at short soph year and made all conference. That summer his 17u travel coach moved him to center. The next spring his high school coach moved him to center.

When he got to college he was a starter from mid freshman year. Over his college career he started at seven different positions.

The smartest thing I ever did was coaching his 13u to 16u travel team he played the position the pitcher came from except when he was the pitcher.

The bottom line is be athletic. But catching and pitching take special focus. If his high school varsity future is at catcher give it extra attention.

Last edited by RJM