Skip to main content

Reply to "Positive Influences"

I love this thread!.....

My son and I have had baseball to share since the day he was born....Of course he didnt know it then....

My dad was a great player and I was not...but I love the game...one of my first dates with my wife was a Pirates/Astros game....

When my son came along, my wife and I were young and struggling to make it in new careers so I worked days and she worked nights to make ends meet....It meant that I would be primary care giver to my infant son from 4PM - 2AM...

Those early years (ages 2-5) we watched baseball on TV, we went to WVU to watch games...just Me, my boy and a diaper bag...we watched local kids practice at the local youth fields while he chased after wiffle balls....

I just dont think he had a chance of loving any other sport as much as he does baseball..... When he was 5 he started playing "organized" baseball which is far from being an accurate description.....and I became a coach, league officer and returned to umpiring.....

He grew up at the field, cutting grass, dragging the infield, stocking the concessions stands....even coaching the younger kids....

He had an outstanding youth coach (Doug Cole) who inspired him to excell...

He went under the instruction of 2 fine instructors...Frank Merigliano and Dominic Merigliano of the Bianco School of Baseball. Dominic gave him lessons on baseball, life, honor, diginity and respect for himself, others and the game...

Now he plays college ball and umpires with me.....and helps his HS coaches do clinics for youth players......

So many influences........