Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum injury – bad timing"

tequila, my son tore his PCL at the end of his high school baseball season during his junior year. At the time it seemed like the end of the world. In retrospect, everything worked out great. His situation changed from being a "borderline" D1 recruit, to a sought after D3 recruit.

Assuming that your son will be rehabbing for a while, be sure to ask the ortho about hitting. If he's cleared to DH, he can still show his athleticism this summer at tournaments.

Does your son play a fall sport? If not, the fall is huge for D3 recruiting.

Health insurance companies have a variety of protocols for this type of injury. Find out about yours asap. They may require a certain number of PT sessions before authorizing an MRI.

Start with the best sports/baseball ortho in your area. They write the script for the MRI. Request a MRI disk regardless of where it's performed. You may want to take it somewhere else for another reading later. In my experience, radiologists and orthos usually read them differently.

I would not agree to a shoulder surgery without getting at least one other expert opinion. In your case, you could  probably drive to Andrews Institute in Gulf Breeze FL.

IMO, you would be making a mistake to allow him to rush himself back into competition just to be seen by a school or just to compete this summer. The timing is unfortunate, but with HA D3s the summer is not as critical as many other categories. Young bodies have an amazing ability to heal, but they do need the proper amount of time off.

Best of luck to your son.