Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum injury – bad timing"

Thanks Cabbagedad! We're not too afraid of the "S-word" and I think you're right about varying degrees of fraying. Fortunately, most can supposedly heal in time but surgery for clean up of scar tissue, etc. is not nearly as recovery intensive as full-on cuff repair from what I can gather. As a minor correction to your mention of "frayed labrum," it's not the labrum that is frayed but the Infraspinatus, which is a tendon. Evidently tendons can heal, unless there is a  but the labrum, eh... not so much.

I mentioned earlier an orthopedic surgeon in southern California that we know. Well, I got his feedback a few minutes ago and he said basically that it doesn’t look like something to panic over. He said if one of the Padre catchers had this then his coach would be working with him to at least slightly alter his throwing motion. Otherwise resting the shoulder is about all you can do. But even a slight change in his throwing motion should help keep this from hanging around or coming back. He has worked with the Padres for years, has seen many many cases when it comes to shoulders, and has been amazed at some of the comebacks he's seen from worse than this.

We hope it doesn't come to surgery and wasted time, and nobody we talked to has suggested that at this time, but it was mentioned as an option down the road if rest and PT fail to correct it. Thanks again!