Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum injury – bad timing"

UPDATE (for those interested in following this thrilling tale):  As we begin week three of throwing shutdown, the boy is pretty miserable and frustrated.

On his summer team, he’s DH’d in five games over two tournaments, totaling 11 ABs. He says he’s learning from them but the games are typically over before he gets to apply it. With them allowing a DH and an EH in these, most kids only get to the plate twice per game. He took a step back this past weekend and decided we should re-evaluate the benefits of remaining on the “showcase” team and I think he’s pretty close to having made the decision to break with that and focus on skill and strength development. Legion is also an option for live ABs, and would result in a similar number but keep us close to home which would pretty much eliminate travel expenses.

He’s doing PT twice a week and can still feel pain when he makes certain movements so we’re definitely not there yet. I think at six weeks (essentially a month from now) we’re going to let him try some light throwing. His ortho doc says that if he can gradually return without much pain then he should be good to go.

He sent emails to all the college coaches he’s been communicating with informing them of his schedule changes. We were able to move most of the camps he had to dates in August and beyond so hopefully he’ll be ready to go by then - better late than never. Response has been positive so far from these guys about options for fall camps/visits, etc. We were pretty torn on how to approach the details in the email so we consulted with his summer coach, who is also the pitching coach for a local D3, and he gave us some ideas on how to frame it up without going into specifics about an injury. More along the lines an explanation of rest and conditioning being the focus.

I’m sticking to the positive thought that this may end up having a silver lining. He seems to be adding lbs. of muscle daily. He’s also working on his hitting daily and, after having not seeing him practice in a while, I noticed the sound and velocity, just off the tee in the back yard yesterday, were remarkably different. He had me feed him two buckets out of the machine yesterday just receiving (he’s a catcher) and wanted me to leave ite up so that it would be easier for us to do this throughout the coming weeks. He worked with his hitting coach once last week and has sessions set up with his catching coach back-to-back days this week (and wants to continue this pattern - if my finances can hold up!).

This is all pretty good stuff in my mind and I’m just along for the ride at this point. Thanks to everyone for channeling any healing vibes . More updates to come….