Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum injury – bad timing"

tequila posted:

With son's surgery tomorrow, I felt like it might be helpful to others if I chronicled the process. I toyed with the idea of starting a new topic for this but decided just to change the name of this one to include the word "labrum" so that all of the information regarding his particular case will be in the same spot.

I found a good thread from some years ago outlining a similar case but the OP stopped posting after a while so we don't really know how everything turned out for the player. https://community.hsbaseballwe...rs-and-labrum-repair

I also found this article, which is eerily similar to my son's situation (including the date of August 27th when the kid had his surgery) so we're using this as inspiration in the process. Based on a little searching, it appears that he went on to play at a juco but I couldn't find much past his first season. https://www.standard.net/sport...f9-804b979a99e7.html

I'll update post-op tomorrow and try to keep up with it as regularly as possible after that. Depending upon what is found when they get in the shoulder (and about 100 other factors) we're cautiously optimistic that he can be ready to go by the start of his spring HS season.

Thanks to all for the support. ¡Salud!

Tequila,

I'm a little late to the party on this but thanks for chronicling your experience.  I wish the best to your son.  Just keep hope..the academic D3's continue to recruit late and if he can get into the school without coach's help he has a chance to walk on as well!  I'm very much looking forward to comparing notes as we have also decided on the surgery option for my son.  Just to recap for anyone looking for labrum experiences, I'll add our as well.  I briefly mentioned it an earlier thread.

Son is a 2019 who was diagnosed with a torn labrum in his non throwing arm in Dec '17.  

MRI conclusion was:

1) tearing of the inferior and posterior labrum from approximately 6:00 to 9:00

2) synovitis within the axillary recess

3) mild tendinopathy of the supraspinatus and infraspinatus tendons.

The ortho felt with the location of the tear and being his non throwing arm he may be able to rehab without surgery.  We opted for the non surgery route in an attempt to get through his Jr. HS season and hopefully the summer showcase circuit.  With PT he was able to get back on the field (about 4 months) and only miss 3 games of his Jr. season.  He was also able to participate in the showcases we had scheduled.

Fast forward to today.  His shoulder still feels ok and he could probably continue without surgery, however, there are still activities that give him trouble.  He can't sleep with his arm above his head, absolutely no overhead weight exercises (including pull ups), when surfing the paddling motion really gives him trouble and lastly..this is a little hard to explain.  You know when you raise your arm above your head and without looking you know or can feel where your hand is?  When he does this he says his hand disappears, he loses the feeling of where it is in space.  Which you can imagine is a little concerning trying to catch a ball above your head!

We want him to be 100% healthy and ready to go for college ball so we're scheduling his surgery for the first week in October.  Doc says recovery should be 4 months, maybe 5.  We opted for October because he has multiple official visits scheduled in Sept. and he doesn't want to show up in a sling.  I should also mention that since revealing his injury all his D1 prospects lost interest.  Which initially was really disappointing, however, in truth he is a borderline D1 prospect.  Maybe he could work his way in by Jr or Sr year if he was lucky on a D1 roster, but he has a very strong chance to come in as a starter and be an impact player on a D3 roster.  He also has very high academics so he is going to have a chance at going to an amazing academic school and play out his last 4 years of baseball.  

I'll try to update after his surgery and his progress in rehab.  Hopefully, this gives some hope to any others who are in a similar situation.  When I first heard "torn labrum" I thought his playing days were done...but now we're looking forward to watching his last 4 years in college!