Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum injury – bad timing"

tequila posted:
Prepster posted:

Every individual's situation is unique in some respects, and it is this thought that makes me hopeful for those mentioned here and other pitchers who suffer a torn labrum; but, full recovery from it even when rehabilitated as conscientiously and well as possible is a dicey prospect. I know because it ended my son's playing career.

In his case, it occurred while he was beginning his third minor league season. One of the most vivid memories I have of the time comes from our visit to the surgeon's office the morning following his procedure.

After telling us how pleased he was with the procedure and its results, I asked him the obvious question, "So, with proper rehabilitation, what's the prospect of his pitching again?" The physician, who was his professional organization's chief orthopedic surgeon, paused for a moment and replied, "The human shoulder was never intended to throw a baseball off of an elevated mound."

Needless to say, I found his reply a good bit less than satisfying and not exactly what I wanted to hear. Little did I know that it foreshadowed a difficult and painstaking, nine-month rehabilitation program at the team's training facility in Arizona; only to find at the beginning of Spring Training that his shoulder still couldn't take the stress of competitive pitching.

Ultimately, it ended well because it opened the door to another chapter in his career; but, it was an unwelcome episode at the time he was working through it.

Thanks for that, Prepster. We got essentially the same message from the surgeon yesterday morning before the decision to go forward with the operation was made. There is a significant chance that my son will not make it back to baseball at the level he wants to be, or pain free. There is also a fair likelihood that it will recur if the motion that caused it continues. The surgeon was very clear about this. After this message, he left the room for us to chat about it and make a decision. My son felt that having the chance to make it back, at least for a few more years maybe, was good enough for him. He wants to feel that he did everything he could so that there are no regrets later. Only time will tell.

You're so welcome, Tequila. I've always felt that honesty takes precedence over all else when facing challenging situations like your son's.

It sounds like he's going into the situation with best possible attitude and resolve; both of which will serve him well in recovery. Here's wishing him the very best!