Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum injury – bad timing"

Hi folks, I thought I’d post an update nearly seven weeks post-op. As of this past Monday, my son is out of his sling and has been cleared to do anything he does in PT on his own, if he so desires. He can also resume working out his lower body, minus anything that would put stress on the shoulder like front or back squats with a bar. After his workout Monday he was in the best mood I’ve seen him since the surgery, and has pretty much maintained that since. As I’ve stated before, it seems the mental aspect has been the toughest part of this for him. He goes back in five weeks to hopefully get cleared to start a light throwing program but we haven’t gotten any direction on hitting, catching, or any further workout timelines other than the PT Rx.

On the recruiting front, he’s managed to somehow maintain the interest of, and dialog with, three head coaches – a D2, D3, and NAIA. We visited the D3 this past weekend and he did the admissions interview, coach meeting/tour, class visit, baseball practice, and homecoming football game. This school is his first choice but also one of the most expensive, and the coaches know that. His pre-read came back with a recommendation to apply RD to “strengthen his application” and I think this is because they know that affordability is paramount for us here rather than any difficulty getting in i.e. a stronger app would result in higher merit aid. The D2 I think would be a great fit but is essentially a walk-on opportunity (with potential for money later) if extended, though I’m told once a spot is secured there are no cuts other than for disciplinary or academic reasons. The coach has expressed that he would like to get him up for a workout and some hitting in December if possible. He’s seen him once at camp and also had him up for junior day earlier in the year. The NAIA HC also has seen him at a camp and wants to get him on campus but we’re not sure the school would be as good of a fit.

All in all, my recommended takeaway at this time is POSITIVITY and strict adherence to the recovery plan outlined by the surgeon and physical therapist. Thanks to everyone for the continued support!