Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum injury – bad timing"

For those of you following my son's story-line, and any others who may want to chime in, I'm actually looking for a bit of advice in this post.

*Quick update though;  recovery is going well (nine weeks post op). Ongoing PT increasing in range and weight. He's able to work his lower body in whatever way he chooses (short of anything that requires holding weight like bar squats, etc.) so that has been huge. He goes back 11/19 to get cleared for light throwing and hopefully to start swinging a whiffle ball bat.

Back to my request for input - I may have mentioned somewhere that we had a plan A, and a plan B, but we didn't really have a plan C, which is what this injury would have required. I hate to advise anyone to have an injury plan but it would have helped had we had some idea of our course of action in the event. Suffice it to say, it changed much about the application process which, as many of you know, involves forms, processes, letters of recommendation, tax information, transcripts, test scores, essays, emails, phone calls, visits, and deadlines. On the athletic side, it changed our entire 2018 summer and fall schedule which would have involved quite a few events in front of college coaches, hopefully some requests for him to apply early admission, and maybe an NLI. As it stands, he's only applying EA at two schools primarily because these are two coaches who are still interested in his potential in their programs. The big unknown, and crux of my question, is what happens if neither of those result in an offer or, in one of the cases, a financial aid package that will work for us? There are a couple of other schools where there is interest but they are a bit lower on the totem pole of preference for my son. One of them has told us that they pretty much recruit right up until the last possible minute, so that is encouraging, but I'm curious what anyone might think about how to get attention when my son essentially can't play until Feb/Mar of 2019. My assumption is that he'd continue to email coaches until the path is clearly closed but I feel like that's sort of throwing an empty hook in the water without a real plan of action. I've probably also mentioned before that the boy is not interested in the juco route. This isn't because he thinks he's too good, rather it's because baseball isn't #1 on the importance scale and he doesn't want to transfer two years into college. We've also had a relatively difficult time finding any two year colleges that we feel have an academic line-up that meets the criteria that he wants.

I'd be very appreciative of any thoughts on a strategy or any insight based on similar experiences. Thanks for everyone's continued support through this. It's been tough at times but we're going to ride it out until the horse is completely dead.