Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum injury – bad timing"

Tequila, I feel for you and your son, I really do.  But having two kids in college (non-athletes) and seeing so many kids my 2019 has grown up with go on to college to play baseball, I've gained perspective.  I would lean strongly towards going to a school he wants to be at.  I have seen so many kids go to schools only to be redshirted and cut, or cut straight away in the fall of freshman year, or decide they don't like the school and come home, etc.  Honestly, most kids don't make it as a ball player 3 or 4 years anyway.  The kids that seem most successful and happy (with or without baseball) go to schools they love and have great all-around experiences.  I think one of the best pieces of advice I got here on HSBBW was to have your son go to a school he'd want to go to with or without baseball.  This, and academic quality, were the two guard rails we put on my 2019's college selection.

One other thought - he's a catcher, so no doubt he can play other positions.  If he can hit the coach will find a spot for him.  Lots of kids get recruited as catchers and end up playing elsewhere.