Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum injury – bad timing"

MidAtlanticDad posted:

What's the hesitation with the D3 that's 8 hours from home? Is that the one with the stud sophomore? I understand the desire to get away from your hometown. I felt the same way when I started college. Fresh start away from the high school scene (and parents). With his injury situation, the baseball side is a complete unknown, and it sounds like he wouldn't want to be at the local school without baseball.
Talent is at a premium at every level. Particularly at D3, the best player at the position (whether recruited or not) is likely going to get the playing time. No guarantees anywhere. Always a freshman or transfer coming in to compete for your position.
I know that you know all of that... just trying to help.

Thanks MidAtlanticDad. The hesitation is twofold: 1) it's about $30K more over four years, and 2) as expressed to him by the coaches, he would be competing with two other incoming freshman for the backup role, with the sophomore starter in front of him. On top of that, the local school has expressed a strong desire for him there, and have gone above and beyond to show it, so it seems to be one of those fairly unique situations where "go where you're really wanted" is conflicting with "go where you want to go to school if baseball is not in the picture." Thanks so much for the input! I know we'll likely look back on this and laugh about the stress but it's definitely a large gorilla in the room at our house.