Skip to main content

Reply to "Labrum injury – bad timing"

Quick update here only because there is something to update

1. Son accepted offer of admission from a D3 eight hours away, and has also been invited to play baseball, so we could not be more pleased, given the circumstances. Additionally, he has decided to pursue a career in the U.S. Army and will be participating in the ROTC program at this college with hopes of obtaining a degree in either criminal justice or political science, and accepting a commission upon graduation. End goal being potentially employed by three letter acronym govt’ agency but we all know how these things change course many times in some cases. I mention all of this not only because I'm a proud dad but to highlight that it is not discouraged to take on a challenging academic schedule alongside a military science curriculum and athletics. In fact, we're told by the Army folks that participation in athletics is looked upon favorably when being evaluated for a scholarship. The coach at this particular school said that he had never had an athlete (at this institution) that has participated in ROTC but that he was certain that it would be worked out. My thinking was that it might even look good for the program but only time will tell how it all ends up. Again, we are proud and optimistic. My son has put much more thought, work, and planning into his path than I did at his age, and probably years later quite frankly.
  1. His HS team is six games in and he has caught two and DH'd in all but one (missed completely due to illness). He's not throwing in-game other than back to P and shorter distances like fielding bunts. This arrangement is between him and his coaches of course and he's handling it pretty well. There are certain games where they have expressed a need for his defensive abilities outside of throwing e.g. deep backstops, large foul territory, etc. Hitting has been solid and essentially unaffected by the injury.
  1. Throwing regimen currently consists of the following daily (except on some game days):
  • Basic warm up 10 min. Rest 2-3 min in between sets.
  • 120 ft x 10, easy throws - repeat x 1
  • 135 ft x 10, easy throws - repeat x 1
  • 90 ft x 10, 80% - repeat x 3
  • 60 ft x 10, 90% - repeat x 3

I was his partner yesterday (ouch) and he looked good. Said he's struggling with his release point yet there wasn't any pain after this session. PT is ongoing and his therapist will let him know when to progress which I suspect will be soon. Things are a bit fluid with throwing at this phase and are basically evaluated weekly and even daily. This has been a challenge because there is really no formula that can tell a kid when he’s ready. It’s all about pain/soreness (lack of), range of motion, and strength – and don’t hurry it. This has been key!

I hope this is, or will be, good info for others. It has certainly been an eye-opening experience for me.