Skip to main content

Reply to "Post Grad Year?"

Fortunately I late phone from 2019Dad posted:

Gunner, my son has a friend who was hurt his junior season. He's doing a PG year (turning himself from a 2019 into a 2020). He made the switch about six months ago, which gave him essentially another junior spring season and the summer.

He recently committed to a D1. After recovering from his injury, he posted in the fall of his senior year of high school D1-level measurables verified at a showcase (he's a MIF and posted a sixty time in the 6.7s, EV in the 90s, and INF velo close to 90), he had a great senior year, and ended up committing about a month ago.

Every situation is different, but it can work. Doesn't mean it will, but it can.

Was he a D1 prospect before injury? Was he on D1 radar? If so, this would be different than PGing to hopefully become a D1 prospect and get on the radar.

My son’s situation was “prove you’re healthy again.” He tore up his knee first weekend post junior summer and separated his throwing shoulder falling down during rehab in the fall. Fortunately a late call from a travel coach/associate MLB scout got him a late offer for the following year. He started college with five years to play four. 

Last edited by RJM