Skip to main content

Reply to "Posted article from Eric Cressey removed on showcases"

CaCO3Girl posted:

I have a question.  Would this statement made in the article still be true?

"I can honestly say that in all my years of training baseball players, I’ve only seen one kid who was “discovered” at a showcase.  And, frankly, it occurred in December of his junior year, so those scouts surely would have found him during high school and summer ball; it wasn’t a desperate attempt to catch someone’s eye."

I don't know about the 'one kid' comment, but I think its still true that the kid would have been discovered through HS and/or summer ball.

My oldest son and his wife just bought their first house.  Along the way, in a very hot real estate market in their price range, they made bids on other houses that they lost.  My sense is they were getting a little panicked about it all - and started rushing around bidding on nearly every/any house in their range.  I finally saw one of them and had to sit them down and talk about patience, because they were about to buy a POS - I had to convince them that they would find a house and one they liked but to stop racing to bid on every house on the map.

Similar principles apply here.  You can find the right school without racing to events all year long.  Winter camps at colleges (yes, our sons did some of those) are well known to be money makers.  Yes, you can be discovered there or at a winter showcase - but since our older son did a bit of this, it always concerned me - the ramping up, ramping down...all year long.  But I didn't act on it - I was impatient.  Its easy to do.

I think Eric Cressey has a VERY good point that is every bit as valid today as 6 years ago.  This guy knows what he's doing.  Perfect...always right?  Certainly not.  But knowing a bit about him today, I would listen to what he has to say.

Last edited by justbaseball