Skip to main content

Reply to "Posted article from Eric Cressey removed on showcases"

I'm not 100% certain of what I'm about to share, so buyer beware, but it was told to me from our HS Pitching coach that part of the "Pitch Smart" guidelines will enact heavy (in thousands $$+)  fines against MLB clubs that watch any HS pitcher throw during the months of October through or to January.

If this is the case, it would obviously have a major impact on those fall/winter showcase/tournament events, most notably, Jupiter.

I'm not sure if the months he mentioned are accurate, or if this also applies to fielders/hitters, but it would certainly be difficult to watch any kind of live action scrimmage without pitchers.

I want to reiterate that I have searched for and found nothing to corroborate what he told me, so in my mind, this is hearsay at this point.  I'm sure Jerry would be well aware and can confirm or refute the validity of this info.

If it is true, then it would certainly be a meaningful move toward protecting arms, at least at the highest level, by putting some teeth in something that largely drives players to continue to perform during their "down" months.

Again, if this is incorrect, don't shoot the messenger, I've provided adequate disclaimer.  Not trying to be an alarmist or spread rumor, just seems timely given the subject