Skip to main content

Reply to "Posted article from Eric Cressey removed on showcases"

justbaseball posted:

I agree, the statement doesn't make sense to me either.  But there are plenty of other experts that have one statement here or there that don't make sense to me either - but it doesn't diminish what they say on things they are indeed expert about.  On pitcher training and physiology, I (and many, many others) consider him an expert.  That part of the story is not diminished and should be considered when setting your son's pitching schedule.

The problem is that once a person shows that he will exaggerate so grossly in order to support his point in even a matter that isn't part of his expertise, it casts some doubt on anything else he offers. You have to ask yourselves every time he puts something out a notion supported by a fact if it is indeed a fact or is he exaggerating that piece of information to persuade you he's right. It removes the confidence you might otherwise have in taking what he says as a fact because its supported by his integrity. Not saying I'll stop listening to what he says or discount it, just that I no longer, after reading that statement, feel able to simply take his word for it as an expert without double-checking him.