Skip to main content

Reply to "Posted article from Eric Cressey removed on showcases"

9and7dad posted:
roothog66 posted:

I follow Cressey as well, but statements like this:

"I can honestly say that in all my years of training baseball players, I’ve only seen one kid who was “discovered” at a showcase.  And, frankly, it occurred in December of his junior year, so those scouts surely would have found him during high school and summer ball; it wasn’t a desperate attempt to catch someone’s eye."

completely kill his credibility on this subject. Not only is this blatant BS preceded by a declaration of "honesty." It's either a complete lie/exaggeration that is so incredible a statement as to make me confident it can't be true or he's so out of touch that he believes it. I would think even the most pessimistic posters here wouldn't think that in all his years of training baseball players, he's only seen one kid "discovered" at a showcase. It's a dishonest statement and blows his credibility with me.

I'm not about to defend Cressey or argue your point but I can say this - If you've ever actually been to Cressey Sports Performance (I have - many times) and had kids who threw there (I have), you'd know that the type of client who typically works out there was discovered a long time ago.  Not a lot of newbies walking around CSP from my observations.  Not to say there aren't any, and not really posting to argue the point either or the fact that he said it, just providing some context via my own visits there.  You're welcome to question his credibility and form your opinions, but I think I would be safe in saying that he is a very well known and respected person in high level baseball circles.

I've never argued that he isn't well-known or well-respected, but so are guys like Jerry Ford and Cressey basically dismissed his entire life's work as useless and harmful and he did so with a blatantly ignorant statement that he quite likely knows to be untrue.