Skip to main content

Reply to "Posted article from Eric Cressey removed on showcases"

TPM,

No doubt that college is the best route for most.  Just what is best for most, isn't best for everyone.

Yes, you are correct, there are events that are very selective for DI and Pro prospects.  Very few of those players will end up at a DIII college.  But there are other events and players that have many players who will  end up at smaller colleges.  Actually the biggest scouting attraction in baseball is Jupiter.  The last few years we have seen more and more DIII coaches attending.  Sure there are first Rd draft picks and power college program recruits, but there are also many very good players that will end up at DII, DIII, NAIA and Jucos.  It is a great place for small college coaches to find talent.

Justbaseball,

I'm not sure what you are trying to say.  Your son went to all those events, he then played at Stanford, he was drafted, and then he made it to the Big Leagues.  Then he had TJ surgery.  And now you are thinking you made some big mistakes?  Is that because of the TJ surgery?  Surely you're not thinking Jupiter 10 years ago was the reason he had TJ surgery?  

Also, I don't understand the "you promised" comment.  Maybe I read that wrong, but who promised anything.  I know I have never promised anyone anything outside our control.

Anyway, I think you did very well with both your sons that play baseball.  You should be very proud.  Your older son is to this day someone I have a ton of respect for.   Many would have had a hard time coming back from that injury in the Cape.   There are millions that would like to follow that path you took to get the results your sons have had.

I definitely agree that it is not necessary to do everything, but it is a good thing if you're wanted.  In fact, it is a very good thing.  These days it is kid of rare to see a pitcher in Jupiter that was in our All American game.  Also rare if we see a pitcher there that played for the USA team in late Aug/Sept. It is extremely rare to see any of those pitchers along with those that pitched in Jupiter at our January World Showcase.  So as near as we can tell, the top pitchers are not showing up at all the biggest events these days.

People need to find a good path.  There is no such thing as a "can't miss" event. There are just some that are better than others. The truth is there are some Major League All Stars that never attended any of the events mentioned.

Is there something going on here that I'm not aware of?