Skip to main content

Reply to "Posted with a wistful sigh"

I've been thinking much about the end of the line lately and your post, Newcomer, really has me examining my own degree of emotional investment in son's baseball career.

We have always believed he was choosing his own path and considered ourselves so lucky that it's our youngest who has had such special opportunities to play beyond high school.

Our wild enthusiastic support includes son's brothers, sister, and the rest of the family, and his career has brought great pride, fun and entertainment to us all.

But, you know, this season has been his first "off" year and I think the grind of it has kicked in for him.

Of course that doesn't affect our level of support, and we've gone to as many games as we could just like always (tougher when they're in college), but now I am wondering if he may have reached a point where he's playing because he thinks we expect it?

That's the last message we want to send, and yet... Newcomer, thanks for making me reflect in this, and a big hug to you as you move into the next phase of watching baseball WITH your son.