Skip to main content

Reply to "Postgraduate Year or Gap Year for Ivy League Recruiting (2019 Grad)"

For reference, my eldest son ran 6.8, threw 92 from the OF, and is a terrific gloveman (SS/CF). He got some interest some lukewarm interest from Columbia (partly our fault because we left things too late), but mainly, I think he was too small, and his bat didn't show enough power(exit velo/batspeed). At his large public top 10 in-state HS he played as a Varsity regular, batting over .400.

You have to be honest with yourself. Do you have the bat, and the glove for D1? In general, I've found that most D1 RC's want to see big strapping dudes.

He had multiple offers from some superb HA D3's. Slight nibbles from a couple of HA D1's, lots of interest from D2's that were of no interest due to their academics. His test scores were in the same neighborhood as yours...a little bit lower, but real close(33ACT, etc.).

Son's studious friends had mixed success in the ED round. Almost all had  35-6 ACT's, 3.8-4.0 GPA's, 12-15 AP courses. One got into Yale, one to Harvard, one to Columbia. The rest struck out, and are getting Full ride's at the State flagships in an honors program. 

It's tough out there!

Last edited by 57special