Skip to main content

Reply to "Posting Offers on Social Media?"

The economic reality is that football brings in money, alumni, boosters and headlines.   I believe the number is 80 or 85 scholarships per D1 FBS team.   So, one of the ways a football recruit can separate himself from others is to tell anybody who will listen on social media just how important he is by sharing the number of offers.  I kind of get it, but at the same time I don't like it.  To me, the player is trying to brand and bring attention to himself when he hasn't done anything yet on the college field. 

Baseball doesn't have quite the hoopla, or the money or the headlines.   Best case is you have 11.7 scholarships for 35 person roster at the D1 level.   The supply/demand and economics are vastly different.  Baseball scholarship dollars are rare which is why you'll hear many on this website ask if the recruit is eligible for academic scholarships in addition or in lieu of baseball money.  Money is tight with almost all D1 programs because they are not generating their own dollars and rely on donors and contributions.  The dollar is so tight that you can hear that eagle (on the back of the dollar) scream!  I think the baseball players that are fortunate to receive rare baseball money are appreciative and more more discrete. 

So, when is the right time to let others know that a recruit has a) received an offer b) accepted an offer and committed and is c) admitted.    In baseball, I've not seen recruits publically mention offers with details and tagging their name to it.  Possibly others have, but I don't think it is a good idea.  I like to think that sharing verbal commitments is with family and those that matter is a good first step, but I would not post publically.  Once it becomes official with admissions then recruits can crank up the ol' twitter machine.   Yes, I prefer to keep it close to the vest and that is how my son played it.  He doesn't like attention drawn to him, and he always wanted to keep options open with other coaches and programs if something should happen.

As always, JMO.

Last edited by fenwaysouth