Skip to main content

Reply to ""Potential" D1 prospect. When is right time to transition focus to D2, D3, NAIA?"

Adding to what Strained Oblique said, aside from Baseball.

Colleges all over the country value diversity, especially many National D3's. Even if you are not an athlete. California residents are some of the most under represented populations at many of these colleges. I have seen financial aid and administration actively chase these students. I know of a local D3 that avoids recruiting locally, unless they can find an absolute stud, however if you are from California, Admissions is all over the coaching staff to admit them. 

I can understand why California residents do not want to move east. Why come to Ohio, to a LAC, when in the fall you are put up in a dorm with no AC, the temp is in the 80's with a 80% humidity, then in the Winter, you slog through campus in bitter temperatures, And you cannot get outside to play ball until the Middle of March and even then you may be playing in under 30 degree weather. 

However for those who are willing there are plenty of opportunities. My sons Alma-mater recruits quite a few kids locally, but there were always one or two from California.