Skip to main content

Reply to "Power Hungry Umps"

quote:
Originally posted by Will:
...when I came out to discuss it he told me to get off the field. Now that sort of riled me as I was not going to let him be so beligeent. I politely told him he misinterpreted the rule in his call. Nothing. I went to his partner who was older and had been around the block so to speak. he smiled as he knew his partner kicked it. I asked for his help. the 2 talked and the correct ruling was made. the younger umpire was not too happy but the correct call was mad. an inning later the young umpire calls a balk on my pitcher. I asked what he did he tells me to keep my mouth shut. Now to all you umpires out there does a coach have to take that. he was mad because I showed him up on a rule? so he calls a balk on my pitcher tells me to shut up when I question him. Well not this old boy. I had a few words and yes i was tossed. Who precipitated the whole thing? if he would have got the first call right? that incident was about arrogance and a confrontational attitude.

The best thing to do is report these incidents in an unbiased way to the Umpire association. Confrontation with younger umpires with little to no life experiences is not going to get you where you want to go.