Skip to main content

Reply to "Power Hungry Umps"

Ive always tried to give thoughtful answers to all those who have come in to this forum wanting to know any information about real umpiring. I, and many other fellow umpires on here, attempt to give you the view from "working umpires".......

to that end.....

When someone comes in and titles a thread "Power Hungry Umpires"........I am suspect. Anything after the title arouses suspicion as to the motive of the questioner.......BUT, in the case that there is some shred of reality, I will offer the following....

In my opinion, there are 3 types of people who become umpires.....

People who like the $$$
People who like the authority
People who love the game

I dont have a problem with any of them........as a matter of fact, I should probably add:

People who umpire for the love of the game and enjoy being responsible for the conduct of the game and want paid for it...........(I fall into this category).......

Now that being said, there those in all 3 categories that should not be doing the job.........

The umpire in the OP is one of them.....

Moving on....I wont comment on Will's experience as I have done so to him on numerous occasions....Wills guy was a perfect example of an umpire who should not be doing the job.......

Now to our original poster.........

Yes, you should have been ejected.. When you are an assistant coach for the freshman team....remember that your duties are to hold the batting gloves, tell the runner to get back, turn left,etc......let your manager or head coach deal with the game officials........

There is my answer if you were really looking to get one....if, as I suspect, you were just trying to swat our bee hive and stir up a swarm........then my advice to you would be:

Nice try......but move on.......please.
Last edited by piaa_ump