Skip to main content

Reply to "Power of baseball and the ACT"

Originally Posted by Dirk:

Guys,

Question for you. Is it worth pursuing a Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Duke or any high academic school, if your boy has a 4.2 weighted and a 20 on the ACT but throws 85 from the left side and can control 3 pitches? Has a plus bat too. ie. Works very hard in school at a good private school but just does not tests well. Obviously without baseball my son would not stand a chance for these type of schools but do these kind of coaches have much influence with their admissions with that kind of ACT? Or should we not waste our time with these type of schools?

Thanks.

I believe there is a calculator for this, and someone else can provide it I'm sure.  I vaguely remember looking for my son, and he is a 3.91 and 24 ACT.  If I remember correctly, I thought there was no way he would get accepted at those levels, and he is a 6'4" Lefty that throws in the low to mid 80's.  (I believe he is throwing harder now, we just haven't had him clocked since early summer.  He also just received a 27 on his practice test.)  I wouldn't think your son has much of a chance with a 20...