Skip to main content

Reply to "Power of baseball and the ACT"

My son just went through this process.  Upper 80's fastball, plus curve and change (from his Stanford Camp not Dad).  4.0 out of 4.0 unweighted, 4.6 weighted.  1820 SAT and 26 ACT first time.  Was told by most Ivy's that they wanted a few points higher on ACT and another 120 - 150 SAT.  I did get him a private tutor and he was able to get ACT up to 30 and SAT up to 1940.  In the end, he chose another path, but those scores are what was asked for

Originally Posted by Dirk:
Originally Posted by PIS:

In a word, no.

My advice is to wait until you have a baseline of how he does on his ACT's & SAT's before you start even dreaming of the Ivy Leagues.  Unless of course there is a library with your name on it somewhere.  That might change things.

If I had a dollar for every parent this year that thought their kid was headed to the Ivy's.  Several Ivy League coaches have told me they need between 2000 - 2100.  So, while others like Fenway have a lot more details on Academic Index, etc some quick math will tell me if I'm not pushing a 1,350 2 Part Sat which equals a 30 ACT, then I'm probably not a strong candidate.  

There are lots of High Academic kids out there with 1200-1300 SAT's... And then there is Elite Academics.  They are a mile apart.

Hope your boy crushes it when he takes it.  But to answer your question, ACT of 20, probably not pitching in the Ivy's.  

But then again, if he's a LHP in the mid 80's he'll have other options.

Rich

www.PlayInSchool.com

Gotcha. Thanks. I didnt know if the Ivy coaches had the same flexiblity with their baseball players as say the Vandys. I know for a fact that there are baseball players there that did not come close to scoring in the 30s.