Skip to main content

Reply to "Practice Schedules"

Our practice schedule isn't based upon "times." We do what we do until we get it right or we tell players to switch. We typically do a series of cardiovascular to get loose and then stretch. Then, catch. Our pitchers are with our trainer. They are doing a series of band work etc. while the trainer gets the other sports kids taped etc. Then, they do their stretches and come to the field. In the mean time, we are doing infield outfield. Almost always, we include a segment just after the initial infield/outfield with JV players being the "runners." Now the pitchers begin to show up. We now change direction. We do our bullpen and everyone goes to either fielding or hitting stations. We set up a jugs machine to shoot out outfield balls, we have an atec Rookie machine for catcher popups or infield grounders, (we have 2 of them) and we progress through a series of "Points of Emphasis" for each of these. In the mean time, kids are going through our cages. We have three and 2 half cages. Each cage has a specific drill noted. Each cage also has specifics for each player. In other words, Joe might go here and here is what Joe is trying to achieve. So, outfielders and infielders are catching balls. Pitchers are doing bullpens. Hitters are hitting. Now, the pitchers come to the field after completing their work with the trainer based upon the pitching rotation and/or their need for work. If we are throwing a "Half-Pen" then once we reach that point, I take them to the field and hitters are called in. We have a rule that only 2 players ever shag. We have a rule that only 2 hitters are ever around that rolling backstop (Including the hitter). So, everyone is still working. Our pitcher throws his work. When the other pitcher shows up, we do PFP with both pitchers. Naturally, the infielders now have to take a position and the hitters switch. After PFP, the other pitcher gets his work in. The cycle begins again with the next two pitchers. After all of the pitchers have gone, we then set the field for the coaches to throw BP. Oh, all the way through this, my assistant coach has been calling individuals in and keeping a rotation going for all OF and IF. That rotation is based upon a lot of criteria. Our trainer is now at the field and he is working with our pitchers as they complete their work. Even as the coaches throw BP, the OF, IF and cages continue to operate. By now, our JV coach is with us and he is manning the cages while my assistant and I throw the BP. We are done when we are done. Naturally, we have long but very efficient practices. Each kid has a point of emphasis for hitting and fielding. Each kid has a rotation. If we "run long" then some of the players don't get live arm from us and the JV coach steps into the cages and throws BP. Everyone in our program gets over 300 swings per day. Everyone in our program gets hundered of balls to field. If anyone wants to see a copy of what our plan looks like, send me an email and I'll send one. Note, it won't contain each players individual work rotation or practice emphasis since that is printed out seperatly.
dbutler@triad.madison.k12.il.us