Skip to main content

Reply to "Pre-rant Questions....."

I don't think anyone has an issue with the extra games.  It's the awarding of a 'championship' that irks some people.  Personally it doesn't really get under my skin but I must concur with the majority that it is silly and misleading.  Many tournaments just put you in extra game to reach the minimum guarantee and then send you home with nothing.  I think this is the way to go.  I once coached a very bad youth basketball team.  We would lose our first game then go to the consolation bracket.  Lose our second game with a little closer score then go to that third game to meet the 3 game guarantee.  Often we would actually win this one.  Afterwards many clueless parents would say well at least we kept getting better as we went along.  I just can't believe they didn't grasp the simple concept that we kept playing worse and worse teams.  Where the problem lies is kids then are fooled into believing they are not that bad and then they do not have a realistic outlook of what They are and how far they have to go.  I am not saying we should demean our kids.  But in the long run you are doing them a diservice by making them artificially feel good also.