Skip to main content

Reply to "Pre-reads and offers"

DCmom, you have the attention of a few of the most knowledgeable and helpful folks on the board regarding HA's.  Be sure to take advantage of that.  I will try to address more of this question...

"What does it really mean to have an offer from a D3? Is it different if it is a HA D3 where they don’t have pull with admissions? Or a D1 without scholarship?"

I have had the experience of sending several players to "somewhat HA" D3's.  Many of those schools, particularly some of the ones that are consistently successful on the field, will "over-recruit".  They will encourage as many good players as possible to enroll and come play baseball.  Lots of decent to average players will find themselves either cut in the Fall or buried on the bench or JV squad.  The schools/coaches have motivation to build enrollment and add talented players and with no athletic $ to offer, often it is the coach showing interest and asking if the player will come and be part of the program that helps fulfill both of those objectives.  They have very little to lose.  So, if you sense this may be the case, the player must ask pointed questions about where the coach sees him fit and when.  There are ways to really dig down... "are there any circumstances, barring of course grade or behavior, that would I NOT be on the Spring roster and competing for PT?".

Last edited by cabbagedad