Skip to main content

Reply to "Pre-reads and offers"

LuckyCat posted:
JABMK posted:

Summer before or Fall of Junior year of high school is typically when the D1 HA will do their homework and offers.  Son's experience for the application process was that some requested ED and others requested general admission application. 

JABMK, I would assume that for most rising juniors, a pre-read in the summer before, or fall of, junior year would not include an SAT/ACT score, right?  This may be why HA schools, whether D1 or D3, tend to look later, maybe?  

One of the things I'm trying to figure out is when to have my son take a test.  At this point, I'm thinking he should not play fall ball and instead should take a test prep class and the November SAT.  The sooner we have that number, the sooner we will know which schools might actually be target schools and which ones are only a pipe dream.  

Thanks to everyone chiming in on this thread.  This is such helpful information.

I would think seriously about the value of an SAT class, which tend to teach to the lowest commond demoninator.  Kahn Academy is a great, free online resource.  Also, we found that individual tutoring was comparably priced to the classes that were out there and focused on our kid's spefic needs (based upon results from both PSAT and SAT).  Wyzant is a great clearinghouse of tutors who do lessons using their online interface.