Skip to main content

Reply to "predraft work outs"

NJBB:

Back in 2001 we made two out of three trips. The Reds, Cardinals and Marlins all invited him to the pro Parks.

The Reds sent a letter a few weeks before the draft and Cardinals and Marlins called us through a scout. The work outs were all within three weeks of the draft.

In St. Louis they ran the 60 yard dash, took infield and outfield, catchers threw down for pop times, pitchers threw in the bull pens and were clocked, and then the position players took bp. In Cincinatti the players hit live pitching but everything else was about the same. We took in a ball game and had a good time.

My son was one of just a few high schoolers and the rest were JUCO or 4 year college players. I think there were about 25 players in all at both places. Didn't get to make it to Florida for the Marlins workout.

This is something you don't want to miss. I had goose bumps watching my son work out with these teams. He is now a college Junior, Here we go again. Wink He has met with a few clubs and took some tests.

Don't ever get exited till they call your name during the draft because anything can happen. You just set yourself up to get diappointed if you expect to much. You may have out priced yourself or they feel you are commited to going to college and they don't want to risk a higher pick on high school players who may not sign.

Good luck to all! Big Grin

Last edited {1}