Skip to main content

Reply to "predraft work outs"

MEMORANDUM
March 11, 2004

TO: NCAA Divisions I, II and III Directors of Athletics.

NCAA Director of Agent, Gambling and Amateurism Activities.

Sandy Parrott
Certification Coordinator for Basketball and Baseball.

SUBJECT: Reviewing NCAA Eligibility — Baseball Draft.

The Major League Baseball first-year player draft is scheduled for June 7-9, 2004, and many prospective and enrolled student-athletes will be facing difficult decisions in deciding whether to participate in collegiate or professional baseball. The following questions and answers have been developed to assist the athletes, their parents and NCAA schools in the decision-making process. The following questions and answers have been formatted to apply directly to the individual who has been drafted:

Question No. 8: I have heard that I can receive an expense-paid tryout to the city of a major league team. Is this true?

Answer: Yes, but only if you have not yet enrolled in a collegiate institution (including a two-year college). In this regard, NCAA rules do permit, prior to collegiate enrollment, a student-athlete to receive an expense-paid tryout with a major league team, provided such a visit does not exceed 48 hours and any payment or compensation in connection with the visit was not in excess of actual and necessary expenses. Thus, you may receive an expense-paid visit from a professional team, provided you participate in tryout activities that allow that club to evaluate you. You may receive such a visit either prior to or subsequent to the Major League Baseball draft. Additionally, you may try out at your own expense with that team for any length of time, provided you cease your tryout when you become a full-time student at any NCAA school.