Skip to main content

Reply to "Preferred Walk-on / Admissions"

coachld posted:
No! Don't Call Bunt! posted:

Thanks all, this is very helpful feedback.  We are trying to not be locked into anything and just see what happens.  If he can play baseball and be a starter that is great. If baseball can help him get into a little better of a school and he barely plays that is ok also.  He can always switch gears and just focus on classes if baseball does not work out.  

Just fun to play as long as possible!  

You have received some good info/advice and I agree that players without athletic scholarship but guaranteed roster spot are more likely to receive help with admissions process. I like your last response because I really believe that it is too early to lock into one school and/or attend camps and speak with coaches about walking on. Once again, I am going to disagree with anyone that says that the best programs in the country are done with 2020's or have a short list that precludes any other 2020 that is not already on said list. I will use Vandy as an example. They have 23 players committed to class of 2018 but only 10 committed for 2020. My son was a late blooming RHP. He did not have any offers until late summer before senior year but just signed this week to play baseball for Power 5 program.

I would recommend that your son stick with his goals regardless of what others may think. Teach him to focus on the process, not the outcome. No one knows how he will develop physically or where he will fit in when all is said and done. Best of luck to your son!!!!

Congrats to your son, that is awesome!  And, I completely agree with you about 2020's.  If a kid blooms in his senior year to throw 90+ and exit velo at 90+ many schools will find a spot.  College baseball is a business.