Skip to main content

Reply to "Preferred Walk On--Guaranteed Roster Spot"

Thanks for the posts.  We have direct relationships with players that just left the program, and my son's hitting coach is best friends with one of their coaches and they both say offer is legit and program honors these commitments. 

PG, Fenway and TPM make good points about being able to accept the downside, but from reading you guys it seems like the downside is possible anywhere you go.  If they don't like you, playing time is unlikely anywhere.  It is of course tougher in some schools than others though.

Now, one of the key issues seems to be that my son is not as highly thought of us maybe some other recruits, and the "go where you are loved" rule would most likely lead you elsewhere, (and there are schools that have shown him that love).  However, my son, like many others in his spot, still dreams of MLB, and trying to stack up against the best.  You and I know that it is a 1 in a 1000 chance, but he is 17.  Because he has aspirations of playing ball beyond college, one advantage is he would compete against tougher competition and see if he stacks up.  If he can't make the lineup eventually given all the teaching tools they have, then he obviously would not be a good pro and can focus more on studies.  It would be a more miserable experience though than playing somewhere that you can contribute, but you would get the ultimate feedback you need to move on.  Just a thought.