Skip to main content

Reply to "Preferred Walk On--Guaranteed Roster Spot"

CD, I agree 1,000% with your comments on playing as well as the importance of exposure and playing in Summer Wood bat leagues.

Where I might vary a bit would be on scouting.  If I understand correctly, Aleebaba and his son are from Texas.  I have a pretty good guess which University he is referencing.  One thing I have posted about the I-35 corridor before is there are more scouts in that section of the Country than just about anyplace else. When our son was drafted, the scout who followed him had 6 players picked by one team in the first 25 rounds, and all were from that one corridor.  As we both know, there is one D3 at the end of the I35 corridor which gets plenty of scouts to their games and more than a few who get drafted.

With that said, being very well coached, grinding and playing are, for me, the most important factors if MLB is a dream.  I am not sure MLB as the dream would be an important criteria on accepting a recruited walk-on slot compared with the quality of coaching, opportunity to play and improve, opportunity for a quality Summer placement and making a personal(quality and realistic)  judgment about whether the player can compete and succeed at that program and is willing to grind to do it.