Skip to main content

Reply to "Preferred Walk On--Guaranteed Roster Spot"

Very good posts by all and especially from Midlo and Swampboy, CD, infielddad and PG.

Regardless of the outcome, this all takes a whole lot of thought behind the decision to play for a Big D1 program. My son played for a top ranked D1, so I am giving my point of view from that perspective.  As someone said here once, be very careful what you wish for.

I said this once and will say it again, I was standing with a group of scouts, agent and D1 coaches as well as a former ML player. They all somewhat agreed that walk ons are seen as fill ins when the scholarship guys get hurt.  That was a few years ago, I am not sure that philosophy has changed!

My sons own recruiting experience, his dream school paid no attention to him until August of his senior year. He played often on their field throughout his HS travel ball, but didn't receive a call until mid August asking if he would like to come to an unofficial to meet the staff.  He asked, "where have you guys been" and "sorry I have had some real interest from others for a very long time and my visits are set up".  he was angry.  Even after a small offer he kept calm and said no thank you. He realized that someone else said no.  I am sure he would have been fine, and been in the local news a lot, but his choice was based upon the love he felt from those that had taken the time to seek him out earlier.

Sometimes I admit its not what you know but who, but in your sons case, is the interest really there for skill and talent or is it because of a friendship?

Study some milb rosters, not all players come from top ranked college programs, in fact most top prospects don't even go to college.  College will help a player to be a better player because he has life experience skills that will help in survival if not a top drafted player. It doesn't necessarily make one a more skilled player even by attending the best college programs in baseball.

Don't ever give up the dream but IMO don't ever compromise your education!  Playing time is essential for development but keep in mind that not all players (especially position guys) show off ML potential and tools needed to get drafted.  It is also very hard to have it both ways (a good baseball program and a good education), the player has to decide and accept what is most important.

Just like families all programs (and levels) have issues. One word of caution, former players will never speak badly of their former programs, they just don't do it, even among friends.