Skip to main content

Reply to "Preferred Walk On - Recruiting Mechanics"

Realized I had no real idea on how preferred walk "recruiting" actually works.  Lets say a public university (mid-major) has a great program in son's chosen field (at the ripe age of 16) and academic money is significant.  Cost is quite reasonable to begin with so economics are not really an issue.  School makes lots of sense without baseball.

I am currently a little confused on roster limits as well as scholarship counters (was 35/27 a few years back if memory serves) and it feels like thinks are headed back to those limits soon.  Assuming 27 get scholarships, how do the remaining 8 players a) generally get recruited and b) how do they get informed of their walk on "offer"?

I assume recruiting is not too different than lots of the kids on the bubble (coach says they like the kid, want to see more, keep in touch, etc), but have no real idea if coaches at some point start to identify potential walk on candidates and begin having discussions specific to a potential walk on position.  Have heard the term "preferred" attached to walk on, but have always assumed that this was probably more of an invite with zero contractual obligation (zero paperwork as the kid shows up in the fall).

Some basic outline would be greatly appreciated.

There might be some information on www.keepplayingbaseball.org