Skip to main content

Reply to "Premier Power Five Coaches Unveil ‘New College Baseball Model’"

@MTH posted:

I need to study this further, but my initial reaction is "The Rich Get Richer."  I see very little in it for programs outside the Power Five.  There is also the open question of who is going to pay for dorms, apartments, meals, etc. for the weeks/months that this would extend the season.  Some of the bigger schools may be able to fund this, but at a lot of places the extra cost will fall on Mom and Dad.  

I'm all for pushing the start of the season back.  But, just eliminate a few games and keep everything else the same.  This would help the northern schools, allow arms more time to ramp up, and give kids a better chance to be true STUDENT-Athletes.  

Back end cost concerns are valid, however there were 20 - 25 games played this season before everything got shutdown the 2nd week of March.  That's more than a "few games".  In this model, the season would have not started yet.

Ultimately,  there is not a model will benefit everyone, but if you can get more people in the seats, for more of the season, then many of the other obstacles can be addressed.  

And to your comment "the rich get richer", there are less than 10 teams that are in black financially, so 95%+ of the teams are underwater.  It's more like the poor hope to begin treading water.