Skip to main content

Reply to "Premier Power Five Coaches Unveil ‘New College Baseball Model’"

The way I interpreted the new model was that Northern schools are good and would be better if we started later with warmer weather and it would reduce costs. That was the main point I took from it, everything else was an additional benefit - like attendance. The attendance is a moot point because once May 1st hits and finals start there is a mass exodus of students, professors, and interested parents going to games anyway. The costs will add up on the back end as well once students are kicked out of dorms the week finals end and players are going to be moved into dorms are most leases on off campus housing end mid May-June1 with many only being 10 month leases. 

The truth is that a lot of programs are going to go the way of BGSU if the season starts on Feb 14, and they probably should. Traveling is too expensive and hard to justify when your team goes 12-42. I'm for the season starting later, but I'm also for a shorter season in general. 

I don't care for an FBS/FCS split like some are suggesting. ECU hosted a regional last year, they are a very strong program. They also just cut a few successful sports. You think their AD/Pres is keen on adding more scholarships? I know the SEC programs are bringing in some money, but these are the same programs that voted no to another paid asst, why do we think they're going to shell out more scholarship money. Baseball is in trouble, this proposal was made by those who recognize that. Unless you were going to go with a FCS < 6.0 scholarships and FBS > 6.0 with a cap at 15 I don't see why it's necessary. Now you have to travel more to find opponents in your division. Then it comes back to college programs are losing money and now you want to spend more, which is also true.