Skip to main content

Reply to "Premier Power Five Coaches Unveil ‘New College Baseball Model’"

@Pedaldad posted:

I do not disagree on the disparity between number one and number 300 at all.  But I think the disparity in talent falls more along an "northern program vs southern program" than it does "mid-major vs P5".   

As for Michigan and OSU, the ranking is per home game attendance.

I can name mid-major after mid-major in the south that is loaded with more  talent and more than 1/2 the teams in most (not the SEC) P5 conferences.  All the southern teams in the American could hold their own in any conference,  and that 1/2 of the American has more talent than all of the Big 10.  The western 1/2 of CUSA is as good as any.  Most teams in the Sunbelt could compete anywhere. 

I have seen a lot of college baseball over the past decade and know how to judge talent, as I am sure you do.  I'd challenge anyone to watch D2 Peach Belt teams and compare the talent to the Big 10, or bottom 1/2 of the Big 12, and PAC.  Teams like Flagler, USC Aiken, and Georgia College are loaded with talent , a lot of it from former ACC and SEC commits looking for more playing time.  A lot of it from players that decided to stay in-state rather than go spend a fortune at out-of-state D1 because D1 programs in GA, SC, and Florida only have so many spots.

Again, I think there is a dichotomy, I just think it is more north vs south.  Most likely because kids from the south get more reps growing up.

I am not a judge of talent. 

I think that teams are built differently, offense or defense.  Some both.  Depends on the coach.

D2 baseball is awesome. There isn't much difference between very good D2 teams and very good D1 teams. I am more familiar with Florida Teams. Tampa could beat UF, FSU, UM. My opinion.  Some of the eastern CUSA east teams have made coaching changes. Was looking forward to this season. But yes many western teams are strong. Rice, Louisiana Tech, Southern Miss, all get players that can play P5.

I can't believe it's June 6 and regional tournies would be here. For some reason this time has gone very quickly.  

Nice discussion.