Skip to main content

Reply to "Premier Power Five Coaches Unveil ‘New College Baseball Model’"

@fenwaysouth posted:

Well it certainly helps your argument that all P5 east coast baseball focused schools are in the South or warm weather.   I'm not buying the north vs south argument.   I'm buying the P5 vs D1 Mid-Major argument as I've seen the talent depth differences between the two.   There have been plenty of successful northern college baseball teams in the last 10+ years that have played at the highest levels.  Those teams were chalk full of northern kids.

What I have witnessed is a lot of talented northern kids being recruited or coming to the south, southeast or mid-atlantic to play P5 college baseball.    They come for the weather, college opportunity, infrastructure, program success, and baseball pipeline to the next level.  I can't speak to the West coast differences.

JMO.

This is the beauty of us all being able to have our own opinion.   

Like TPM said earlier, there are D2 teams down south (and I would add several JUCO teams down south) let alone southern "mid-majors"   fully capable of competing with the best P5 has has to offer.  Coastal won the College Word a few years ago.  In the shortened season this year, UCF pummeled #8 Auburn in a weekend series,  Georgia Southern did the same to #3 Georgia.  Georgia stopped offering Mercer a home and home series two years ago after Mercer won 7 of the last 8 in the series.  Southern Miss has some of the top talent in the country every year.  Look at how many pitchers from Furman have already found new homes at P5s.  It is different down south, there is such a concentration of talent that everyone is good.