Skip to main content

Reply to "Preparing myself.... cuts tomorrow"

Wow..That HS has a lot of sub-varsity teams feeding the varsity. Two freshman teams, Soph, JV and varsity. Obviously a 2012 tryout eliminates the freshman team, so did he make soph, jv ot the varsity or that hasn't been sorted out yet?. Guessing from all those teams, there must be a lot of players at tryouts.

I remember that feeling my son's freshman year when he tried out. That was tough. The waiting because there were so many players trying out and the coach is seeing all these players for the very first time.

At the end of his freshman seson, the frosh coach called a parents meeting to talk about the season, expectations for the following year etc. and when it came time to talk about my son, he said the first day he showed up in a polo shirt and jeans and no equipment and everybody was in sweats and working out and had their gear, his first thought was "my first cuts should be easy" but then said once he saw him play, he was pleasantly surprised based on the first day.

He told the coach he couldn't make most of the meetings because he played varsity as a freshman in his winter sport and went to the state tournament that extended the season causing him to miss key after school pre-season baseball meetings for dates, times expectations etc... Since freshman year was the first time the baseball coach ever meet these players, had I knew at the time when he told us that story, I'd have thought he had no shot from day one..LOL.
Last edited by zombywoof