Skip to main content

Reply to "Prepping For Freshman Baseball"

quote:
Originally posted by 2013 Dad:
My guess is that he simply does not want to risk further injury to his son. That he would prefer the experts (his son's coaches) decide how to treat his injury. I don't blame you one bit. Although my son no longer pitches, if he did, I would do the same thing. Being shut down for 3 weeks for the sake of not risking further injury is sonud thinking as far as I'm concerned.

2013 Dad,
As parents, we all can have different approaches.
From our son's experience in college, Milb and now as a college coach, my conclusion is trying to play and compete in college or above with an injury makes the challenge even harder, both physically and especially mentally.
For a player who has competed on 2 teams through mid August, playing in discomfort and with an issue of a rib "popping" or moving, I would be concerned shutting down and resting to September 10, 2012 only leaves the player at considerable risk when the rigors of college baseball, both in the weight room and on the field, begin. Personally, while shutting down the player might be right, I would still involve the college coaches and I would especially involve a doctor.
While I don't know the program involved, at the D3 our son attended, the rigors of college baseball started in the early Fall. They were far more physically and mentally challenging than anything he had done before, including HS football.
On 2 occasions during our son's career, once midway through his freshman year and once in Milb he played with an through injury. The challenge of trying to compete and succeed at those levels of competition, combined with the huge adjustment to college baseball, form the basis for my thoughts in this thread.