Skip to main content

Reply to "Preventing Youth Injuries"

My son's best friend has a strain in his UCL. He was his high school's number one pitcher. Him and the number 2 guy threw about 95% of their innings. Son's buddy threw about 70 innings. One Friday he threw 10 innings and 138 pitches. Then on Monday he threw another 100+ in a 7 inning game. Just crazy stuff at their school.

Son's buddy came up hurt Memorial Day weekend, our first weekend of summer ball. The number two guy came up hurt around July 4th. Both pitchers were severely overworked by their high school coach. so my questions would be these, adn I dont know if you can answer them all.

How do you approach a high school coach that you feel may be overworking your son.

What do you see as a good bench mark for pitchers to throw as far as pitches in a day, and week.

Do these change for high school age men who start going hard at it March 1st, or whenever. Meaning what can youe expect to throw in April as compared to May.

Are there any warning signs for elbow, or shoulder, injuries. These ones seemed to come out of nowhere.

Are Athletic trainers good at spotting mechanical flaws that may be harmful to pitchers.