Skip to main content

Reply to "Price to be paid for year around training?"

Ramrod...excellent post! However, I don't think youth associations should mandate to parents how often and when their kids play. I am a strong proponent of playing one sport during one season. Hate it when I see girls playing both field hockey and s****r in the same season. Can't commit to one thing...why do it? Aren't these team sports?

Anyway, I think parents are to blame here. Mom and Dad have lost the ability to say no to junior! Mom and Dad get caught up in the hype and lose perspective. I have a buddy, great baseball guy from a great baseball family. When his son was 6, 7, 8, etc..., he was doing baseball Mon/Wed/Sat, and s****r on Tues/Thur/Sun. At the age of 10 he told his dad enough is enough. He quit everything. It devastated my friend, but I told him to back off and maybe he would come back. He did...next season he was back on the diamond...but dropped the s****r. It is a rare kid who can handle all of this...and I say good for them. But 90% of the kids doing this can't handle it...mom and dad need to:

"Wake up!"